Monday, October 11, 2010

Father of the Bride: A movie with a wedding

The movie for "Father of the Bride" shows the father is not happy that his daughter is getting married. I watched this movie on ESL Summer class. I love this movie because a traditional wedding in my country is complete different. In the US, the bride's parents pay for the wedding, but in my country, the bride's parents get money for the wedding.

In the film, Martin plays George Banks. First he insists she is too young, then he accuses her suitor of being unsuitable and finally he turns to his wife to concur with his verdict. Mom and daughter hire a wedding consultant; the wedding is going to cost $250 a head. The expensive wedding is a big problem for George Banks. After spending huge money and time prepare the wedding, George Banks feels disappointed at the wedding. During the wedding he had many problem: he had to wait on the long line to get his foods, he had to move cars from his home to the park; he missed her daughter before she left home go for her honey moon.

I don't have any daughter. If I had a daughter, I would be very very worried about how I could find money for the daughter's wedding party.

2 comments:

  1. Good job, Mei! This looks like a great movie -- now I want to watch it!
    We will discuss it more in class.
    Note - be careful about subject/verb agreement:
    Banks feels
    he needs to wait in a long line to get food
    He needs to (or: He has to )
    He misses his daughter
    I would be very worried

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi

    I share with you the idea of having the male pay for the expesives of the wedding. In my culture works like that too.

    ReplyDelete